Church, God, Religion, Relationship


By the time I was 18 yrs old, I was bored with the Catholic Church. I went because I was living at home and had to.At 18, my boss at the time, asked me to go to church with her. It was an Assembly of God Church. I said ok, asked her what I should wear, because I was raised to wear a DRESS every Sunday to church. That's how it was growing up. Not this particular morning, I was told by my boss that I can wear whatever I was comfy in. COOL, I had pants on. WELL... my dad had asked where I was going and when I told him to church, he asked WHY was I wearing pants. I told him a friend had asked me to go with her to her Church and she told me I could wear whatever I wanted. He asked where the Church was, I told him Whittier, (I was in La Mirada at the time) and he asked what KIND of Church it was, I said, "Assembly of God." He immediately said, "Well, just as you turned your back on the ROMAN CATHOLIC GOD, Don't ever come to me for anything..." I was stunned. I said, "I'm NOT turning my back on him, I'm trying to get to know him better." thank GOD my friend had gotten there, saved by the HONK :-) 

Strange that I can remember this from 30 yrs ago. It was shortly after this, that I was told to move out, another sordid story, but to make it short, I left, and my dad's words rang with me all the time, and I had no contact with him, for several reasons, for several years. I believe that that was the turning point in our relationship. It became more volitaile, and I kept my distance. We had minimal contact for years, but started to get turn a page, when my husband died in 2005. He was terribly shaken by that, he thought highly of Keith and enjoyed their conversations when we would attend family functions. 

One day, He told me that he didn't remember saying those words to me when I was 18, but he wanted me to know he didn't mean them and if there was ANYTHING I needed he was there for me and my children. I went to him when I needed help, it wasn't too often, and I would be so upset with my self that i had to ask him for help. He told me not to be so hard on myself, he understood what I was going through as he went through it when my mother died, when my siblings were 8,6 and I was 4.

I felt the closest to my dad just before he died in Nov last year. I loved to hear my dad laugh, and he had such a cute smile. I was glad we had gotten to a place where we could have fun and talk about things, and I can ask for his advice. It wasn't like that for many years, not since I was a kid growing up, but I'm glad it happened right when it was supposed to. <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Can't Make This Stuff Up....

Like Father Like Daughter- Part Deux

Say Her Name.....